The developers of the instant messaging service Snapchat have recently been accused of misuse of data after several cases of privacy violations were brought to light. Essentially, these incidents involved spying on users by the service’s employees. Not a pleasant news, is it? And maybe even a reason to think about leaving the social network once and for all.Today in this guide we will tell you how you can delete your snapchat account.
Ultimately, it doesn’t matter why you choose (or have already decided) to remove the messaging service from your life. In this article, we would therefore only like to explain step by step how you can delete your snapchat account.
How to save Snapchat data
Before deleting your Snapchat account, you may want to save all of the important photos and videos you’ve shared over time. And possibly some other information related to your social network activity. Unfortunately, Snapchat does not offer the option to download all the information you are interested in in one step. That is why we take a look at all the options and alternatives that Snapchat offers you.
1.Set up snap and story backups
By default, Snapchat does not save your data and videos . A snap that you send to a friend, for example, disappears as soon as they are visualized. If you publish a story, it will be deleted within 24 hours without the possibility to restore it afterwards.
If you are playing with the idea of leaving the social network, you may not want to do without copies of your available posts. To do this, simply activate the Memory function , which you can use to save snaps on your device (camera roll) or in the cloud (memories):
- Open your profile and tap the gear icon at the top right of the screen.
- Go to Features (Android) or My Profile and choose Memories.
- The Save button lets you choose where you want to save the copies of your videos and photos on your device. Choose Memory’s & Camera Roll or Camera Roll only if you don’t want your data stored in the cloud.
- Under My Stories option memories ; This way you don’t have to save each post individually.
Snaps from personal chats must be saved individually each time.
2.Download photos and videos from memories
If you want to leave Snapchat without further ado, but have so far only saved your snaps in Memories , you can simply download your favorite pictures . With iOS devices, this is done in one go.
- Go to memories.
- Mark the snaps you want to download by tapping the tick in the top right corner.
- Tap the arrow icon below.
- Choose Save .
Android users must download their snaps individually.
- Go to memories .
- Choose the photo you want to download.
- First select Export Snap and then tap Camera Roll .
If you are not only interested in your photos, you can contact Snapchat support and request all the data available to the service. These include, for example: the history of the tracks recognized with Shazam, Bitmoji kits, photos and videos that you have saved in memories, etc. The support team will take your request and provide you with all the requested data.
4.All data in the form of a ZIP archive
If you want to keep track of your Snapchat activity, a list of your chats, logins, etc., you can also request this information.
The following data will then be made available to you:
- History of your purchases, location history, search history, etc.,
- An archive of all your chat histories,
- Your user profile data and information about your friends and subscriptions,
- Your Bitmoji avatars.
All this data and information will be sent to you in the form of a ZIP file, which you can then keep as a souvenir. Before doing so, however, your account must be linked to an email address. If you haven’t already:
- Tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the profile screen.
- Then, under Settings, tap the Email address button .
- Enter your email address and select Save .
- Snapchat will then send you a confirmation to the email address associated with your account.
- Follow the instructions in the email to complete the confirmation.
If your email address is already linked to your account, you can request the archive without further delay. Here’s how it all works via the app:
- Open your profile and tap the gear icon in the top right.
- Go to Privacy (Android) or Account Actions (iOS) and choose My Data .
- Enter your login details.
- Then tap Send request .
To request the file from the website:
- Sign up under you snapchat.com on to your account.
- Click on My Data .
- Click Send a request at the bottom of the page .
In both cases, a ZIP file will be sent to the email address you confirmed within a very short time.
How to delete your Snapchat account
After you have saved all important data and information, you can now proceed with deleting your account. As with many other social networks, Snapchat first suggests you to temporarily deactivate your profile (in case you should change your mind after all).
For your information: You cannot delete your Snapchat account via the app. This must be done through the website:
- Log in at https://accounts.snapchat.com
- Click Delete my account .
- Enter your username and password again.
- Click continue .
Then delete the app from your mobile devices and you’re done!
Restore Snapchat account
You can restore your account within 30 days of deactivation. Simply open the app and enter your user name. The program prompts you to wait a few seconds and then log in again – and that’s it! Your account is active again and all your data, including your profile, will be restored.
As long as your account is deactivated, your Snapchat friends cannot see you in the app or send you messages. After 30 days your profile will be permanently deleted – after that neither you nor Snapchat employees can restore it.